As you can see in the pictures below, there was an existing retaining wall filled with black dirt where the new student residences will stand. After our operator broke out the concrete retaining wall and footings using a Caterpillar 314 with a breaker-attachment, we excavated and hauled 400 cubic yards of black dirt. With the old retaining wall removed, the electrical substation can now be relocated so that the new residences, ranging in height from 4-14 stories, can begin construction.
- Job Address: 1150 E 61st St., Chicago
- Scope of work:
- Remove existing retaining wall with footings and excavate/dispose of 400 CY of existing black dirt.
- Remove concrete substation enclosure and affiliated concrete transformer pads.
- Duration: 10 days
- Equipment & Personnel: Cat 314 w/ breaker, 1 operator, 1 Laborer
- Project completed on schedule and safely without incident